I came to Nashville on 17th March. A couple days later I went grocery shopping and purchased 3 potatoes. So far I’ve eaten only 1.5. That’s how *less* I like potato (aloo in Hindi). But I was pleasantly surprized by how this subzi turned out.
The recipe is pretty simple, too. You’ll need:
– 1 potato
– 2 tsp oil
– Mustard and cumin seeds, coriander powder – 1/4 tsp each
– Asafoetida – 1 pinch
– Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
– Red chilly powder to taste
– Salt to taste
– De-skin and chop potato into thin bite size pieces. Immerse in water and keep aside.
– In a pan heat oil.
– When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
– When these start spluttering add chopped potato pieces.
– SautÃ© well.
– Add salt, red chilly powder and coriander powder. Mix well and cover.
– Stir occasionally and allow it to cook till done.
Enjoy with parantha or any kind of bread. Also great as a side to rice-curry combo.