This post is dedicated to my friend, Swati, who likes this rice a lot. I am hoping now she’ll be able to make it easily using this recipe.
Lemon rice is a very easy-peasy rice recipe. With the addition of veggies you can enhance its nutritional value as well as flavor.
So, without any more intro, letâ€™s get started â€¦
-: Youâ€™ll need :-
– 2 cups rice
– 3/4 cup finely chopped veggies (I added onion + broccoli + carrots + red, yellow & green peppers). For now keep all of these separate, do not mix.
– 2 tsp lemon juice (add more if you want the dish to be tart)
– 1 tbsp peanuts (optional)
– 2 cups water or vegetable stock
– finely chopped green chillies to taste. I added about 3 medium ones. If you prefer more hot food, you can add one more
– Salt to taste
– 2 tsp oil
– 1/2 tsp each mustard seeds, split gram (chana daal), split black gram without skin (actually looks white!)
– a pinch each of turmeric and asafoetida powder
– 4-5 curry leaves (optional, but they add wonderful aroma and flavor, so highly recommended!)
-: Preparation :-
1. Cook rice with water/stock, salt and lemon juice. Set aside.
2. In a heavy bottom pan heat the oil and then add all other items collected for tadka.
3. Wait till the mustard seeds splutter and add peanuts. Roast for about a minute or till then turn golden.
4. Add onions and sautÃ© till they turn translucent.
5. Add rest of the veggies one by one and sautÃ© for a couple mins. Sprinkle some salt, cover and cook till almost tender.
6. Add cooked rice to this and mix well.
Serve hot with pickle / chips / papad.