Happy Holi, friends!
May you have all the colors of enjoyment, laughter and cheer in your life!!
For those of you who are not tuned in to what I’m talking about, Holi is the famous festival of colors from the ever-so-colorful, India.
And what is a festival without sweets? Right?
So, let’s go ahead and make some Indian sweets today. The northern parts of India, this festival is known for Gujia – they are the fried dumpling-like things with sweet stuffing inside. On the west side, in the states of Maharashtra and Goa, you can enjoy Puran Poli during this festival.
Well, both these recipes call for certain skills in kitchen, and I wasn’t up for any challenge today.
Instead, I decided to go with something that my mom made for us when she was here. Besan ke laddu / Besanache ladu. This one is simple but oh so yummy. And, it only needs 4 ingredients (1 of them optional). How cool is that? !
- 1. Besan / gram flour - 5 cups. Sift it well to avoid lumps.
- 2. Finely powdered sugar - 3 cups. You can grind granulated sugar for this.
- 3. Ghee (clarified butter) - 2 cups + some additional
- 4. Cardamom powder (optional)
- Heat a pan and melt about 1 tbsp of ghee.
- Add besan flour and start roasting.
- Keep adding ghee little by little and roasting besan flour till it starts to turns a little darker. Add entire 2 cups of ghee and save the rest. This step might take about 8-10 mins or so.
- Add sugar, some cardamom powder and mix well.
- Take off the pan from heat and let it cool for about 4-5 mins.
- Once you can comfortably touch the besan mixture with your hands, start rolling little balls the size of doughnut-holes. You could add more ghee if the balls look like they are too crumbly or not holding their shape.
- - You can garnish these laddus with some sliced nuts. But they taste awesome even without anything on top too.
- - The proportion of besan to sugar to ghee is important in this recipe. So feel free to substitute one cup with your measure of choice. I chose a small bowl which is almost equal to one cup, and was able to make about 30 laddus.
Do give it a try!