Lentils are an excellent way to add more proteins to a vegetarian diet. Back at my home in Goa, mom often added a handful of daal, specially moong (Split Green Gram) or toor / arhar daal (Split Red Gram) with vegetables like torai and gourd family veggies, cabbage etc. Some times we had a curry with daal + veggies (sambar style) at other times it was a more drier version as a side.
When I saw a squash and a zucchini at the Urban Market, I immediately remembered mom’s subzi and had to make it myself.
Here’s how you too can enjoy this yummy treat. You’ll need:
– 1 squash, 1 zucchini, 1 small capsicum – washed and chopped into small pieces
– 2 tbsp moong daal, washed and soaked in warm water.
– 1 big dried red chilly, adjust as per taste. Cut into pieces and set aside.
– 1 tbsp – Coconut powder (optional)
– 1 tsp oil
– A pinch asafoetida, a quarter tsp mustard seeds, a pinch turmeric powder
– Salt to taste
– Heat oil in a pan and when it is hot add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
– When mustard splutters, add red chilly pieces, veggies and saute for a min.
– Add the soaked daal, turmeric powder, salt and a little water (about 1/2 cup).
– Cover and let it cook for about 5 mins.
– Once the veggies and daal are tender, add coconut powder and cook for about a min.
Serve as a side with roti (Indian bread) or rice.